Astrocytes are large glial cells more abundant than the neurons in the central nervous system. Astrocytes are usually star-shaped glial cells extending radially from the cell body, and their morphology can change. Astrocytes have been shown to be dysfunctional in certain neurodegenerative diseases, such as Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The specific functions of astrocytes are:
- Maintain extracellular ion balance
- Provide structural support for neurons
- Regulate synaptic transmission, including transmitter uptake and release and potassium uptake
- Provide nutrients such as lactic acid and glucose to neurons
- Support repair and regeneration after central nervous system injury
- Remove debris by phagocytosis
Summary of Astrocyte Markers Provided by Creative Biolabs
Astrocyte Precursor Cell Markers
Creative Biolabs has been committed to developing the most advanced reagents to assist neurobiological research. We provide a series of astrocyte markers, including monoclonal antibodies, polyclonal antibodies, and labeled antibodies. Our product portfolio also includes recombinant proteins, analytical kits, and small molecule activators and inhibitors for astrocyte research.
With our easy-to-use guide, make sure you choose the best cell marker tools for your research needs.